Satisfy your sweet tooth and chill out after a long day with this recipe inspired by your favorite childhood hot chocolate…only made healthier! Plus, easy vegan coconut cream makes a delightfully smooth finish.
The weather is getting colder. The days are getting shorter. And, your hot chocolate cravings are getting stronger! There’s something about a piping hot cup of chocolatey goodness that evokes feelings of nostalgia and comfort – things we could all use a little more of these days. But as adults, we know that all of that sugar and artificial flavor at the end of the day is not the best choice for our health and wellness (not to mention getting a good night’s sleep). So, what’s a chocolate lover to do? We recently posed this question to blogger, cat mom, and coffee lover Hannah York, and asked her to help us come up with a healthy chocolate coffee recipe that will satisfy your nighttime sweet tooth without unhealthy sugars or caffeine. The result? Healthy chocolate coffee perfection!
Chocolate & Coffee: Familiar Friends
This is a culinary match made in heaven! In fact, discriminating chefs and baristas around the world have spent countless hours coming up with their own favorite pairings of specific coffee beans and types of chocolate based on how the flavors balance and complement each other. For less complex palettes, simple treats like a Café Mocha or chocolate flavored coffee syrup will hit the spot – but at the price of added sugar and calories.
And so, back to our question – what’s a coffee lover to do? Enter Hannah York, a plant-based food blogger who knows how to create amazing flavors with healthier ingredients. First, Hannah suggested that we use our Spiritual Chill botanical decaf blend as the base for this beverage to promote calm and actually help you get the rest you need. Then, she picked out some great ingredients to recreate that traditional hot chocolate taste we all love:
- Cocoa Powder: made from crushed cocoa beans, cocoa powder is believed to contain compounds that can benefit your health.
Coconut Sugar: with a lower glycemic index than traditional sugar, this is a healthier way to add sweetness.
Nut or Oat Milk: skip the extra calories from regular milk with either of these options, which are both naturally vegan and dairy-free.
- Easy Vegan Coconut Cream: because you can’t have hot chocolate without the froth you usually get from marshmallows, Hannah created this simple recipe to perfectly top your chocolate coffee.
Not only does our Spiritual Chill blend make a great base for this chocolate coffee because it’s decaffeinated, but also because it’s made with Passionflower, Chamomile, and Holy Basil to help you find your calm with every sip. You can also use any of our other blends (which have caffeine) based on your personal preference.
So, go ahead and satisfy that hot chocolate craving all season long without any guilt! Not only will you love the flavor, but you will also get some amazing wellness benefits.
Healthy Chocolate Coffee (with Easy Vegan Coconut Cream)
- ½ Tbsp. Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Coconut Sugar (can sub other sugar of choice or maple syrup)
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- ½ cup Nut Milk or Oat Milk
- 1 cup Wildcrafter Spiritual Chill Brewed Coffee
Easy Vegan Coconut Cream (optional)
- 1 can Coconut
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Add milk to a saucepan and bring to a light simmer (alternatively, use a milk frother).
- Once simmering, stir in all ingredients except for the coffee and whisk to combine.
- Combine with the brewed Wildcrafter Spiritual Chill coffee.
Easy Vegan Coconut Cream
- Add coconut cream and vanilla extract to a bowl.
- Use an electric mixer and whisk for at least 10 minutes. You can also do this by hand. The cream should become light and fluffy.
- Hannah’s Tip: I recommend chilling for at least 5 hours, whipping again, and then serving, but this isn’t necessary. Cooling it down will create this cool whip like consistency. If you don’t chill it, it will be more of a liquid mixture but just as delicious!
Do you have your own chocolate coffee recipe that you love to make with one of our own botanical blends? Or, did you make this Healthy Chocolate Coffee recipe at home? Share with us by posting your recipe and photo to social media with #mywildcrafter.
Want more recipes? Get our Free At-Home Creative Coffee Recipe book!
Thanks to Hannah York for this amazing recipe! Follow her on Instagram @yorkganics.